she banked the skipping rope

kahroba

Persian
Hi everyone
Please tell me what is meant by "which she banked" in the following context from "Nights at the Circus" by Angela Carter:
Everywhere she went, rivers parted for her, wars were threatened, suns eclipsed, showers of frogs and footwear were reported in the press and the King of Portugal gave her a skipping rope of egg-shaped pearls, which she banked. "
Does it mean that she cashed the skipping rope of egg-shaped pearls?

• Loob

English UK
    I don't think the character concerned would have put it in the bank for safekeeping - she'd have got monetary value from the gift somehow.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Yes, 'banked' would normally mean "put into the bank", but I think "cashed, and put the cash in the bank" is also possible, and here more likely.

kahroba

Persian
    I don't think the character concerned would have put it in the bank for safekeeping - she'd have got monetary value from the gift somehow.
    She never misses a chance:
    His attempts to get rid of the damn' glass only succeeded in dislodging a noisy torrent of concealed billets doux, bringing with them from the mantelpiece a writhing snakes' nest of silk stockings, green, yellow, pink, scarlet, black, that introduced a powerful note of stale feet, final ingredient in the highly personal aroma, "essence of Fevvers', that clogged the room. When she got round to it, she might well bottle the smell, and sell it. She never missed a chance.

Loob

English UK
    I've had second thoughts about this, having just come across a section a few pages later where Fevvers' maid says, about a gold hairbrush given to Fevvers by (seemingly) the Prince of Wales, "Solid it is. What a shock I got when I got it valued. Fool and his money is soon parted. Goes straight into the bank tomorrow morning".

So yes, "which she banked" in post 1 probably does mean, as Lingo suggested, put into the bank's vaults for safekeeping ~ presumably to be capitalised on at a later date.