She came waltzing into the door.

Arzhela

French
Hello,
Can somebody tell me if this sentence means that "she entered in the room with brutality" or that "she entered in dancing" (??) ?
Thanks for your help.
Azhela

• mamboney

English (USA)
    She came waltzing IN the door.

Waltzing here refers to entering a room gracefully like a dancer or like a carefree person (as Joelline implies).

Joelline

American English
    Hello Arzhela,

Actually, in my experience, it also suggests an attitude of insouciance as well.

The last time I was accused of "walzing in the door," I was 15 years old and it was midnight. My mother had told me to be home at 11. I entered the house as if nothing were wrong, said "Hi, Mom. What are you doing up so late?" Her reply (only a part of which is printable here!) was, "Who do you think you are, young lady, walzing in at midnight? Didn't I tell you..."

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    I would add that the expression is usually used of someone who would have been expected to come creeping in shame-facedly -- think of a parent complaining about the hours their daughter is keepiing —> "she had been out all night, we were sick with worry, when she came waltzing in the door at 10:00 am!"