she can't count it towards next year's quota

< Previous | Next >

meramli

turkish
Suits Episode 1

Boy: I hear someone's not taking their pills.
Grandmother: Because they're trying to poison me.
Boy:Grammy, that's crazy.
Grandmother: Dr. shrager gave me her word she wouldn't poison you until January. If she does it before then, she can't count it towards next year's quota.

Can you explain what does 'she can't count it towards next year's quota.' mean? Especially 'count it towards'. Thanks in advance.

(I know I exceed the 4 sentences quotation limit, but if it's removed one of the sentences the conversation doesn't make much sense.)

• The Newt

English - US
    It's a joke. The Grandmother is implying that the doctor has a quota of patients she (the doctor) is allowed to (or required to) poison every year. If she poisons the boy before this year ends, the poisoning won't be included in the quota for the following year.

meramli

turkish
    Sorry I wrote the last (fourth) speaker wrong, it must be boy, so the patient is grandmother not boy, what I still couldn't solve is, is 'count something toward' compound or are they separate words? If compound, what does it mean? If separate what does 'towards' mean in the text, because it seems different from its common meanings. Thanks.

The Newt

English - US
    Sorry I wrote the last (fourth) speaker wrong, it must be boy, so the patient is grandmother not boy, what I still couldn't solve is, is 'count something toward' compound or are they separate words? If compound, what does it mean? If separate what does 'towards' mean in the text, because it seems different from its common meanings. Thanks.
    If you think of the quota as a total, you count towards that quota.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    If you count an amount as part of a target (a number you want to reach), the amount you've got so far increases: it goes towards the target. So the amount you're adding counts towards the total.

cross-posted What he said.

< Previous | Next >