she couldn't hold her own

danalto

Italy - Italian
Hi, WR. Da "Law & Order Los Angeles" - Winters, detective della polizia di LA, sta parlando di una sua collega, Casey.

Winters:
Her worst nightmare was someone saying she couldn't hold her own. What if it was the same for Valerie? If she knew Freddy was building a case against her, to get her fired...
WINTERS
Il suo incubo era che le dicessero che non sapeva difendersi. E se fosse lo stesso per Valerie? Se sapesse che Freddy stava raccogliendo prove contro di lei per farla licenziare...

La frase l'ho capita, ma devo ridurla di un bel po', l'attore la dice con una velocità pazzesca!

Questa forse potrebbe essere una soluzione:
aveva il terrore di non sapersi difendere

Last edited:
  • Alxmrphi

UK English
    Her nightmare wasn't that she thought she couldn't hold her own, it was that someone would accuse her of not being able to hold her own. I think your first try says that.
    Yeah but she can't keep her first try, and things have to be rephrased and left out due to time constraints.
    Danalto's doing a translation for a dubbing and the translation has to match up with the filmed version in English, so it needs to be something the dubber can say in a short period of time while the American actress speaks very very fast, and what she has in the first attempt is too long and needs to be shortened while still expressing (at least most of) the meaning.

But point noted, it's quite a distinction and the Italian translation says she was frightened of not being able to, while the English is that someone would accuse her, so back to the drawing board I think..

Alxmrphi

UK English
    S'impauriva di non potersi diferendere secondo loro ?
    S'impauriva di non potersi diferendere a loro parere
    ?
    S'impauriva di non potersi diferendere negli occhi loro ?

Temeva di non essere visto (come) capace da qualcuno?
    L'accusa di non essere capace le tormentava ?

Just guessing now :rolleyes: I know they might sound weird but hopefully might turn on a :idea: in your mind and give you an idea.

Last edited:

danalto

Italy - Italian
    Hi, BM! Long time no see! :D
    Alex, you learned the lesson, as I can see...

BM: you're right about the real meaning of the sentence...but...(you know)

Yes...back to the drawing board ... (sigh)

danalto

Italy - Italian
    S'impauriva di non potersi difendere secondo loro ?
    S'impauriva di non potersi difendere a loro parere
    ?
    S'impauriva di non potersi difendere negli occhi loro :cross:?

This could be an idea!!!
    Temeva di essere considerata un'incapace...

Bookmom

Thanks Alx, I've been here long enough to understand just what Dani's constraints entail. I was concerned not only for the possible misdirection of this line, but for what follows as well. She could be set up for a fall she doesn't deserve.

Alxmrphi

UK English
    Thanks Alx, I've been here long enough to understand just what Dani's constraints entail. I was concerned not only for the possible misdirection of this line, but for what follows as well. She could be set up for a fall she doesn't deserve.
    Woops sorry, I didn't know you if you were aware or not :p

This could be an idea!!!
    Temeva di essere considerata un'incapace...
    Molto bello! :p

danalto

Italy - Italian
    @Alex: sei stato bravissimo a spiegare il mio lavoro, invece! :D

@Bookmom: so, are you going to help me with Law & Order as you did with Cold Case and lots more in the past? :D

Grazie per il vostro prezioso aiuto, vado a provare Temeva di essere considerata un'incapace.

danalto

Italy - Italian
    Temeva di passare per un'incapace.

Hmm, troppe labiali? :)
    Ora la provo! :)
    Vedi che anche tu servi a qualcosa...?:rolleyes:

Here it is:
    Il suo incubo era passare per un'incapace. E se fosse lo stesso per Valerie? E sapesse che Freddy cercava di farla licenziare?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >