she eliminates every weekday evening

< Previous | Next >

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
In the book " A Cry In The Night", there is a sentence I cannot understand the exact meaning.
Her habit as she left was to tear off the current day from the daily calendar over the wall phone. Jenny had joked about that to Erich. "She not only cleans what was never dirty, she eliminates every weekday evening."

Does it mean "every evening of the week"? I mean it is the "evening" which is important, or the "weakday"?
Could anyone please paraphrase the bold sentence for me. I have some problems with "weekday"!

• Miss Julie

English-U.S.
    Weekdays are generally understood as being Monday through Friday, so that is referring to the evenings of those five days.

Weekday evening is confusing. In my experience, we say either weekdays or weeknights...not "weekday nights" or "weekday evenings"! :eek:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I'm only guessing from what you've said, but if she leaves on a regular basis and tears a page from the wall calendar as she does so, and others watch her do this: Is she leaving an office? And are Jenny and Erich co-workers? Weekday, at least in the US, means any of the days Monday through Friday, which is when office workers are generally on the job.

Jenny may mean that to this woman they are talking about, the day has ended when she leaves the office; she has "eliminated" the evening.

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
    You mean she doesn't take the evenings into account and doesn't consider the evenings because she thinks the day is over at the veenings when she wants to go out?

pob14

American English
    I think the sense is that she is so dedicated to her work that she thinks of nothing else; when she's done with work, she pulls the day off the calendar because the end of work is the end of the entire day for her.

< Previous | Next >