She explained that her husband didn’t know about her diagnosis yet (sequence of tenses)

< Previous | Next >

Caelito

English (UK)
Hi, so I'm having trouble translating the following sentence into Russian, particularly the second half: 'She explained that her husband didn’t know about her diagnosis yet, because she didn’t want to discuss it with him while they were still fighting with each other.'

I know that Russian normally uses the natural sequence of tenses in indirect speech, but I'm not sure which parts of this sentence that applies to i.e., whether it just applies to 'her husband didn’t know about her diagnosis yet' or whether it applies to everything after 'she explained that'. I've come up with two possible translations for this sentence:

Option 1: "Она объяснила, что муж еще не знает о ее диагнозе, так как она не хочет обсуждать это с ним, пока они все еще в ссоре".
Option 2: "Она объяснила, что муж еще не знает о ее диагнозе, так как она не хотела обсуждать это с ним, пока они все еще были в ссоре".

Are either of these correct? Any help would be much appreciated!

• Ruukr

Odessa, Russian - Ukrainian
    Hi, so
    'She explained that her husband didn’t know about her diagnosis yet, because she didn’t want to discuss it with him while they were still fighting with each other.'

Option 1: "Она объяснила, что муж еще не знает о ее диагнозе, так как она не хочет обсуждать это с ним, пока они все еще в ссоре".
    Option 2: "Она объяснила, что муж еще не знает о ее диагнозе, так как она не хотела обсуждать это с ним, пока они все еще были в ссоре".

Она объяснила, что её муж ещё не знал о её диагнозе, так как она не хотела обсуждать это с ним, пока они всё ещё ссорились друг с другом.

Если Вам надо сказать именно так:
    1)... пока они все еще в ссоре.
    2).... пока они все еще были в ссоре.
    то тогда лучше так:
    ... while they were still at loggerheads.

Last edited:

Awwal12

Russian

Both are correct, but only the first one corresponds to your original sentence. The second one implies that they aren't fighting anymore and she probably wants to discuss it at the moment of speech.

Last edited:

Maroseika

Russian

Both are correct, but sense is a bit different. The second one presumes that she might have already changed her mind (but in this case better use Past Tense for муж не знает, too).

Cross-posted...

A sidenote: пока они всё еще в ссоре sounds clumsy (and redundant for the English conjunction "while"). Conjunction пока would be quite enough.
    However пока may be used in the different sense, as the adverb - so far:
    - Они помирились?
    - Нет, пока (пока что) они всё еще в ссоре.

Awwal12

Russian
    The second one presumes that she might have already changed her mind (but in this case better use Past Tense for муж не знает, too).
    Why? The meaning will be different again. "Муж ещё не знал" will imply that the husband had been unaware at some moment in the past (probably already knew the diagnosis at the moment of speech, but not necessary). "Муж ещё не знает" implies that he still didn't know it at the moment of speech.

Maroseika

Russian
    Why? The meaning will be different again. "Муж ещё не знал" will imply that the husband had been unaware at some moment in the past (probably already knew the diagnosis at the moment of speech, but not necessary). "Муж ещё не знает" implies that he still didn't know it at the moment of speech.
    Agree.
    But the second phrase allows two options: (1) they are not fighting anymore and (2) they are still fighting, but she decided to tell him anyway.

Ruukr

Odessa, Russian - Ukrainian
    Agree.
    But the second phrase allows two options: (1) they are not fighting anymore and (2) they are still fighting, but she decided to tell him anyway.
    Both of you can be agree with each other (first one for information only, and for next two actually), but actually the thruth are somewhere behind. )))))
    All auxiliary sentences, is originated example, are in past!!! So, Where are from so very particular decisions?

veklingua

Russian
    @Caelito
    If your question is purely about use of tenses in Russian, then it's option 1 that corresponds to your particular example in English (the contrast being, of course, that in English you use the past tense to mean the same thing). Option 2 is also grammatically correct and you could use it too if the woman was referring to past fights with her husband, no longer underway at the moment of her utterance.

Keep in mind, though, that the Russian translations you're using sound quite unnatural to a native speaker, and therefore, are unlikely to ever be used. If the fight is still going on, I would offer "...поскольку, пока они в разладе, она не хочет/желает с ним обсуждать эту тему." Other suggestions: "...не хочет обсуждать эту тему, находясь в разладе," "..., пребывая в ссоре," "...в момент, когда у них продолжаются споры." "...пока у них продолжаются споры." Correspondingly, if the fight was in the past, you'd have to use the past tense in both parts of your second clause, e.g., "...не желала....пока они были в разладе."

As to the first clause, I would offer "Она нам пояснила, что ее муж до сих пор (ничего) не знает о ее диагнозе..." или "...не в курсе того, что ей поставили диагноз...".

Caelito

English (UK)
    Thank you all for your answers—it sounds like the first option is my best bet, I'll just have to change the language to make it sound more natural!

MIDAV

Russian
    Somehow, of these two I prefer Option 2 (yes, that's for the original English sentence).

Also, I would add Option 3, just changing verb tenses, and that would be my favorite:
    Она объяснила, что муж еще не знает о ее диагнозе, так как она не хотела обсуждать это с ним, пока они все еще в ссоре.

As for translation, I would say it is nothing short of awesome, for a British person at least. Specifically, пока они все еще в ссоре actually sounds great to my ear. Well, I might replace так как with потому что and о ее диагнозе with про ее диагноз, but those are just my personal preferences.

< Previous | Next >