"she felt it her duty ..."

roniy

ISRAEL: Fluent Hebrew ( Speak Russian, Learning English)
should that be
"she felt it is her duty ....."
or
"she felt it which is her duty ...."

Thanks.

• JLanguage

USA: American English, Learning Hebrew and Spanish
    roniy said:
    should that be
    "she felt it is her duty ....."
    or
    "she felt it which is her duty ...."

Thanks.

Your options:
    1." She felt [that] it [was] her duty to help his family."
    2. "She felt [that] it was her duty to help his family."

However, you can't use "She felt it her duty" on its own, you would have to use "She felt [that] it was her duty."

Hope that helps,
    -Jonathan.

koliver

English Canada
    Hi,

I am new at this. I am English Canadian. To answer... "to be" is understood in this phrase. This has the same meaning as saying "She felt it to be her duty" Leaving out the "to be" is a much more emphatic and romantic way of expressing this.

Kent

roniy

ISRAEL: Fluent Hebrew ( Speak Russian, Learning English)
    Ohhh yeah it is not " is" but "was"
    and probably there was an ommision where I saw it .

Thanks alot.

Le Pamplemousse

USA, English
    However, you can't use "She felt it her duty" on its own, you would have to use "She felt [that] it was her duty."

I disagree, and agree with koliver. Albeit a little outdated, another way of expressing this is "She felt it to be her duty." I have heard many people use sentences like this omitting the "to be", and it is actually pretty close to what happens in Latin. Another example:

"I thought it weird that she was there."

While I might never use a sentence like this in conversation, I think it's acceptable.

elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I agree with Le Pamplemousse. Jonathan may have meant that you can't say "She felt it her duty" without following it up with an explanation, but I would think the same would apply to "She felt (that) it was her duty."

Roniy, if you need the past tense, "She felt that it was her duty to..." would be correct.

JLanguage

USA: American English, Learning Hebrew and Spanish
    Le Pamplemousse said:
    I disagree, and agree with koliver. Albeit a little outdated, another way of expressing this is "She felt it to be her duty." I have heard many people use sentences like this omitting the "to be", and it is actually pretty close to what happens in Latin. Another example:

"I thought it weird that she was there."

While I might never use a sentence like this in conversation, I think it's acceptable.

I agree with you now about using "She felt it her duty" on its own. I was just writing my initial thoughts, which you have proven to be incorrect on that point.