she felt the curious quiver of changing consciousness and relaxation going through his body

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 322, chapter 15) by Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background: Mellors seemed to get angry and became silent, when he heard Connie was going to bear a child. Then Connie pressed her cheek on his belly to comfort him. He said"why" at last.)

‘Why!’ he said at last: and she felt the curious quiver of changing consciousness and relaxation going through his body. ‘Why I’ve thought sometimes if one but(=only) tried, here among th’ colliers even! They’re workin’ bad now, an’ not earnin’ much. If a man could say to ’em: Dunna think o’ nowt but th’ money. …… ’

Even though, I can guess the but means only, but the blue sentence is still confusing for me. Now I rephrase the blue sentence as: she felt his mood returned to normal state(=changed) in strange quiver, and he got relaxed all through his body (when he was not angry any more).

Is that right please?
Thank you in advance

Last edited:
  • goldenband

English - American
    I think you've got the right idea!

The "curious quiver of changing consciousness" seems to me to be a description of how, as Mellors thinks through the implications of Connie's announcement and realizes what it will (and won't) mean -- that their unborn child's life doesn't have to be horrible, and that their own lives need not be diminished or crushed -- his body and posture shift and relax. His "consciousness", in the sense of a way of thinking and feeling about something, is changing.

< Previous | Next >