She [flips] the mat regularly.

< Previous | Next >

aleaf

Japanese
She flips the mat regularly.

I made it up. Whatever the mat is for, would you imagine her turning it over with a quick movement? Or would the "flip" only imply that the mat is something light?

• Sparky Malarky

English - US
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand what she is doing with the mat. It sounds like she's turning it over, but maybe she's turning it around. Or maybe she's shaking it at me.

The Newt

English - US
    She flips the mat regularly.

I made it up. Whatever the mat is for, would you imagine her turning it over with a quick movement? Or would the "flip" only imply that the mat is something light?
    It wouldn't necessarily imply either. If you flip the mattress on a bed, for example, the mattress might be quite heavy and difficult to turn over.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    To me it would imply that it is being turned through 180 degrees around any horizontal axis, i.e. it would be lying flat both before and after the operation, but the side that had been facing up before would be facing down afterwards.
    I would not necessarily expect the operation to be done in one quick movement, especially if the object is heavy.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I agree with #3 and #5. Talking about a flat thing (a mat) "flip" just means turned so the other flat side is up.

My first impression from "flip" and "mat" was (a) easily turned over (light), but not (b) a simple rapid movement (like flipping pancakes).

But if a later sentence showed it was heavy and bulky, I would not be surprised. "I have a queen-size bed, so I needed a friend to help me flip the mattress".

Packard

USA, English
    When my rubber car mat gets dirty I "flip it over" and shake out the gravel and dirt.

When I make pancakes "I flip them over" so I can fry the other side.

When I go to the diner the cook "flips" burgers (cooks both sides).

Here is flipping burgers (it looks like a video, but it is actually a animated snapshot,which I think is OK as it is a .gif image):

< Previous | Next >