She had just time enough

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
There was a brief scuffle that Elizabeth could feel and hear but could not see. She had just time enough to think again of gathering herself and struggling upright, and then the fracas before her ended in a "oof" of pain

Source: Timepiece, Heather Albano
Background: William and Elizabeth were caught in a thunderstorm , unable to see each other in total darkness. While Elizabeth was struggling to regain her footing on the slippery ground, she heard some monsters thundering down towards her. Dramatically, an old man materialized and loomed over her, saving her from being trampled in the stampede. After the commotion, a flash of lightening lit the sky, and William finally saw her and the old man. He thought the old man was trying to hurt her, thus a scuffle broke out.

From what I've learned, "enough" usually goes before the noun it modifies, so "she had just time enough" strikes me as an odd construction. I was wondering if it is just inversion purely for poetic effect?

• redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thanks Egmont and Miss Julie, that clears things up . Out of curiosity, do you use it in casual conversation just because it flows better than "she just had enough time"?

< Previous | Next >