日本語のフォーラムを使うのは初めてです。使う理由は辞書でこの文を読んだことです。

She has a hot boyfriend.
彼女はホットなボーイフレンドができた。

質問は、英語からの[ホットな]が日本語でも使うことができますか。

[色っぽい]という言葉は使ったらいいですか。

ありがとうございます。

• SoLaTiDoberman

Japanese
    色っぽい means "sexy" or "attractive." I think it usually refers to a woman, not a boyfriend.

It depends on the meaning of "hot" in the English language.
    彼女は彼氏が出来立てのほやほやだ。
    彼女はボーイフレンドができたばっかりだ。
    These sentences have the nuance of "new" or "brand new."

If you make a direct translation for "hot", it would be:
    彼女はアツアツの(or 熱々な )ボーイフレンドができた。
    or 彼女はボーイフレンドができた。お熱いことで。
    This means that their relationship is "hot."

If you describe that the boyfriend is a not-cold but passionate guy like 松岡修造, you would say:
    彼女には情熱的な彼氏ができた。

彼女は熱い彼氏ができた。
    This is probably the most direct translation from "hot."
    And this sentence leaves the ambiguity of what 熱い means, just like "hot."

>彼女はホットなボーイフレンドができた。
    From a certain viewpoint, this is an easy and "accurate" translation because ホットな is the most direct translation from "hot." Or maybe I should say that it is not translated into Japanese. It is still English.

From another viewpoint, it is different from traditional Japanese, and the meaning may become obscure. Some traditional Japanese people may frown when they read it.
    It is just the same as "彼女は hot なボーイフレンドができた."

>質問は、英語からの[ホットな]が日本語でも使うことができますか。
    So the answer is yes and no.
    If you want to go an easy way, you can use it.
    If you want to go a more advanced way, you should translate it into traditional Japanese.

ルー大柴 (a Japanese comedian) would say:
    トゥモローはトゥモローのウインドが吹く (Its original Japanese: ) 明日は明日の風が吹く
    Its English translation is: "Tomorrow is another day."

This is a kind of wordplay, which may make sense to those who know English.

Likewise, 彼女はホットなボーイフレンドができた makes sense, although the meaning may be obscure.

Last edited:

KL99

Mexican Spanish
    彼女はアツアツの(or 熱々な )ボーイフレンドができた。
    First of all, thank you for your answer!
    So, would these two words be the best option that all Japanese people would normally use in such a conversation?

Thank you in advance for you time and answer.

gengo

American English
    She has a hot boyfriend.
    彼女はホットなボーイフレンドができた。

It's possible that I am just unaware that ホット has come to be used in slang this way in Japanese today, but it's certainly not how I would translate that. I would probably say something like "彼女のできた彼氏はいい男よ" (feminine speech) or "彼女は素敵な / かっこいいボーイフレンドができた," although those may not convey the idea of "sexy" as well as the English "hot" does. I think this is partly a cultural difference, as English speakers tend to talk about sexiness more than Japanese speakers do in such contexts.

SoLa, have you heard young Japanese using the word ホット in this way?

graysesame

Taiwanese Mandarin
    First of all, I have disagreement with the choice of the verb. I would use いる or 持つ or 付き合う rather than できる (got a boyfriend → 彼氏ができた) if I were the dictionary editor.

Second, English speakers (or at least Americans, from my experience) praise/describe a people by the word "hot" (sexually attractive), which Japanese do not do usually in daily conversation. Using イケメン or かっこいい (describing good-looking) would be much safer. (again, personal experience)

gengo, you got ahead of me.

Last edited:

KL99

Mexican Spanish
    Thank you for your observations and comments on the topic! I think I already know which words would be the fit.