She has bought a new washing machine ...

Edgardg

Polish, Poland
Hi,

is my sentence correct? "She has bought a new washing machine even though her old one was still working."

Wouldn't it be better to replace "was still" with "is still"?

Thank you

• Kenneth Garland

UK, English
    I think you're right, because of the sequence of tenses:

"She has bought a new washing machine, even though her old one is still working".

but

"She bought a new washing machine, even though her old one was still working."

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    "She bought a new washing machine even though her old one was still working."

"She bought a new washing machine even though her old one is still working."

I believe that has is redundant.

In the above sentences I am of the opinion that both convey the same meaning with reference to her purchase.

GenJen54

USA - English
    I always thought this was another AE/BE difference, wherein AE prefers the simple past and BE allows for more flexibility with its use of the present perfect.

I would say "she bought" in either case.

Edgardg

Polish, Poland
    Thank you all. However, if I kept Present Perfect "She has bought ..", the better choice would be Present Simple not Past Simple "is/was still working well. Yes?

Kenneth Garland

UK, English
    As you can see, there is some disagreement between different English-speakers!

I still go with my original post.

The lady in question has bought a washing machine (it was delivered very recently). Nevertheless, her old one is still working (now).

The lady in question bought a washing machine (some time in the past). Nevertheless, her old one was still working (at that time in the past).