She <has> <is having> her exams this week.

Peter SLP

Polish
Dear all,

I am confused as I am not sure which sentence I should use.

1. She has her exams this week.
2. She is having her exams this week.

• Chasint

English - England
    She has her exams this week. (She has no choice)
    She is having her exams this week. (She has decided to have them this week)

She has her birthday this week. (She has no choice)
    She is having her birthday party this week. (She has decided to have the party this week)

Last edited:

lingobingo

English - England
    :thumbsup:
    Obviously you don’t really get to choose when you sit exams, but those nuances do both apply in the right context.

She has her exams this week = Her exams are [taking place] this week; they’re on her agenda
    She’s having her exams this week :thumbsdown:
    She’s having her operation this week = Her operation is [scheduled for] this week

Peter SLP

Polish
    Obviously you don’t really get to choose when you sit exams, but those nuances do both apply in the right context.

She has her exams this week = Her exams are [taking place] this week; they’re on her agenda
    She’s having her operation this week = Her operation is [scheduled for] this week
    Many thanks for a great explanation!

Peter SLP

Polish

She’s having her exams this week --what meaning does it convey?

Peter SLP

Polish
    It doesn’t read naturally at all.
    and as for:
    "She’s having her operation this week = Her operation is [scheduled for] this week "

If it is scheduled it should be " She has her operation'-- Why did you use Present Continuous in here?

lingobingo

English - England
    Because that’s how we typically announce what’s happening/going to happen in the near future.

What’s happening this week, then?
    Well, on Tuesday I’m getting my nails done, and on Thursday we’re out for dinner with your parents.

Peter SLP

Polish
    Because that’s how we typically announce what’s happening/going to happen in the near future.

What’s happening this week, then?
    Well, on Tuesday I’m getting my nails done, and on Thursday we’re out for dinner with your parents.
    Thanks a lot for your explanation!

< Previous | Next >