She indicated that she wants to go to the mall every weekday

< Previous | Next >

Baby_V

italian
When asked Jane about her daughter, she indicated that she wants to go to the mall every weekday.

OR

When asked Jane about her daughter, she indicated that she wanted to go to the mall every weekday.

Which one is correct?

Thank you.

• Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    Both are grammatical. The difference depends on whether the daughter's wish (I assume that the second "she" is the daughter)—
    it depends on whether you, the speaker, consider the daughter's wish still relevant to the present, or if it's only relevant to that past moment in your story.

Sabretooth

American English
    I find these sentences problematic because of the first part of them.

"When asked Jane about her daughter..." :cross:

You would need to say, "When [someone] asked Jane about her daughter..." or "When asked about her daughter, Jane indicated..."

Also, who is indicating in this sentence? Jane or her daughter?

As far as the wants/wanted question, both work, but have slightly different meanings which Cenzontle has explained.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    When asked Jane about her daughter, she indicated that she wanted to go to the mall every weekday.
    I second what Sabretooth says (post #3); your sentence is quite unclear. Also: What does "indicate" mean? How does one indicate that one wants to go to the mall without saying so? In semaphore? Sign language?

sdgraham

USA English
    I second what Sabretooth says (post #3); your sentence is quite unclear. Also: What does "indicate" mean? How does one indicate that one wants to go to the mall without saying so? In semaphore? Sign language?
    :thumbsup: Indeed. This is one of the points drummed into journalism students (at least at decent universities). "indicated" is the bane of specificity. In other words, what, precisely, did the person do or say?

< Previous | Next >