she interviews him

< Previous | Next >

Kinyonga

English - England
Hello! :)
I'm looking to translate "Jane interviews Fred" (the sentence is at the head of an article).
Is there an alternative to "entretien", which sounds too much as if Jane is supporting / looking after Fred, and to "interview" which just sounds too English? Maybe they both work fine and it's just my impression as an English speaker!
Thanks!

• plantin

français
    I think there's not clear alternative in french to interviewer.
    S'entretenir avec
    could be a synonym, but in most cases, french people will not understand it as "a conversation with a reporter". Every day, "je m'entretiens avec ma femme" but it's not an interview. :D
    "interview" which just sounds too English?
    Maybe, but nobody in France is still aware of it; according to the TFLI, the word appeared in french in 1883, very shortly after US in 1869.

plantin

français
    Yes, but in this case, the context is absolutely clear. And, to be honest, France-Culture language is not representative of the standard french language.
    X nous a accordé un entretien works well yet.

plantin

français
    I wanted to say that a speaker on France-Culture, between "X s'entretient avec Y" and "X interwiewe Y", will choose the first at ninety-nine per cent.

for example, where 'X s'entretient avec Y', and they are interviews, to my mind.
    But when you hear on the same radio "Donald Trump s'entretient en ce moment avec le premier ministre japonais", do you understand that Donald Trump interviewe le premier ministre japonais ? Because s'entretenir avec needs a clear context to be correctly understood, interviewer doesn't, it's immediately clear. That's why, without context, Jane interviewe Fred is better than Jane s'entretient avec Fred.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >