She is <a> French.

wuzongxian

Chinese
She is French or she is a French???
What I learned are she is Chinese, she is English... There is no A before the people of one country. But I found this sentence: she is a French in lesson 5, NCE1, an English learning book from China. So I'm confused why it isn't she is French here?
Thank you!

Here is the whole text:
Good morning, Mr. Blake.

This is Miss Sophie Dupont.
Sophie is a new student.
She is a French.

<——-Excess quote removed by moderator (Florentia52)——->

Last edited by a moderator:
  • PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    But I found this sentence: she is a French in lesson 5, NCE1, an English learning book from China.
    Unfortunately, it is common for language books that are written and published in China to contain errors.

However, without knowing what "lesson 5, NCE1" says, it is impossible to know for certain that the title is incorrect.

For example, if the title is "She is a French ..." then the lesson could focus on such phrases as "She is a French girl", "He is a Chinese soldier"; They are English criminals", etc.

wuzongxian

Chinese
    Unfortunately, it is common for language books that are written and published in China to contain errors.

However, without knowing what "lesson 5, NCE1" says, it is impossible to know for certain that the title is incorrect.

For example, if the title is "She is a French ..." then the lesson could focus on such phrases as "She is a French girl", "He is a Chinese soldier"; They are English criminals", etc.
    I've added the whole text. Thx!

wuzongxian

Chinese
    Woops, I just checked other editions and found I've got a faulty one. The original sentence is she is French. I'm embarrassed and sorry about that! Thank you guys again!