She is before me.

Happytoday

Japanese
My friend is standing in front me in the queue.
(1) May I just say: She is before me.
On the same road, there are a coffee shop and a pub.
(2) May I just say: The pub is before the coffee shop.
A man is asking me how to go to No.5 High Road. I know there is a supermarket on the same street with it.
(3) May I just say: Before a supermarket, you will find that address.

• lingobingo

English - England
    (1) No. Not unless you’re using it as dialogue in a historical novel.
    (2) Yes, but only if you’re describing the order of the shops and cafés/pubs as you walk along the street in a specific direction.
    (3) Very unlikely.

Last edited:

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'Before' rarely refers to a position in modern English. Usually it is before in time. You can give directions to a place by saying that a person walking will see one place before (they get to) another - that means the order in time, but of course it also corresponds to their positions. In a shop, 'she is before me' means she was waiting before (earlier than) I was; please serve her first, then me.

There are a few situations where it still means "in front of". A magician might make someone disappear before your very eyes - this is a fixed expression.

Happytoday

Japanese
    lingobingo, entanglebank. many thanks.
    (1), the correct way to say: she is in front of me in the queue.
    (3) on the same road, There are a supermarket, some buildings, and No.5
    Is it correct to answer the man who is asking me direction: you will see a supermarket before (you see) No.5 High Road. And then you need to go a little further, you will find No.5 High Road.

Last edited:

lingobingo

English - England
    You can say it any way that makes your meaning clear, but preferably without saying the same thing twice.

You’ll come to a supermarket, and no. 5 High Road is a little way on after that​