She is blister-tight

lilfrenzy

eh?
Canadian English eh?
Hi. Can anyone tell me the meaning of "blister-tight"?

Sounds of passion, then, predictably, her screams. For years, I blamed her temper on that man. Now, I know she was swollen with Grandma's genes. She was blister-tight. She slammed Kiki's head with an iron skillet. Shaved her bald for telling a lie.

Can it mean that she was swollen with temper, full of bad temper?

• Dimcl

Canadian English

Sounds of passion, then, predictably, her screams. For years, I blamed her temper on that man. Now, I know she was swollen with Grandma's genes. She was blister-tight. She slammed Kiki's head with an iron skillet. Shaved her bald for telling a lie.

Although this paragraph makes almost no sense without further context, I would guess that "blister-tight" means that she was very pregnant (eg. "swollen with Grandma's genes").

Trisia

Romanian
    Hello.

The word "blister" has more meanings, one of which is to criticise, to rebuke someone very harshly or even beat someone (see dictionary entry here).

Also, among other meanings, "tight" can be something that's very close, or somebody that's really angry.

My first guess when I saw this was that she was full of anger, but I'm not sure, maybe others have better ideas.

Trisia

sueno dulce

Korean
    Hi everyone~
    I want to know the exact meaning of "blister-tight".
    For example, "She is blister-tight."
    What is that sentence meaning?
    Please, help me~~~

TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    I imagine it means extremely tight in the way that too-tight shoes cause blisters on your feet.

However, I have no idea which variety of tight (tight with money?)

Elisabetta

Trisia

Romanian
    As a matter of fact, I do know the context :D

This question has been asked before, but by someone else, and never got a clear answer:

This is the original thread.

<<Threads have been merged>>

Packard

USA, English
    A "tight blister" is one where the fluid in the blister causes the top layer of skin to bulge to the extreme. If it is in a bad spot and it is very tight, it is best to lance the blister and release the fluid. This will relieve the tightness. A tight blister in an area that requires mobility can be painful or inhibit the range of motion.

Having said all the above, I am still not certain what the writer intended by the phrase "blister tight".

Perhaps she was so swollen with anger from the chaffing from "that man" that she was ready to be lanced?

JamesM

I think the quote is in error. Here's what I found:

From House of Many Gods, by Kiana Davenport
    http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780345481511&view=excerpt

Gradually, her face began to change. It grew bloated, blister-tight. She threw Rosie headfirst through a window. She slammed the girl's head with an iron skillet.

It's talking about her face. Packard's explanation of a tight blister could be employed by a writer to describe a person's bloated face. That makes the most sense to me.

lilfrenzy

eh?
    Canadian English eh?
    Wow. "blister-tight" must be exclusively licensed to Kiana Davenport.
    It's funny how she used the same expression to mean something different.

The context is this... the Grandma was violent and died in an insane asylum so the "she" was inherited with Grandma's genes...

Both cases involve getting hit with an iron skillet or some physical torture, so causing a blister, but the first case seems more of the mind than physical... so the best guess would be that she was so full of violent genes that was always on the verge of explosion, simply put, she was full of anger???

Can anyone support this?

The Bones of the Inner Ear - Short story by Kiana Davenport

From House of Many Gods, by Kiana Davenport

Gradually, her face began to change. It grew bloated, blister-tight. She threw Rosie headfirst through a window. She slammed the girl's head with an iron skillet.

sueno dulce

Korean
    Thank you so much~
    Kiana Davenport's novel is difficult for me to understand perfectly because she used many symbols and metapors.
    Especially I'm not native English speaker but just lover of English novels and literature... So her this novel seems sort of puzzle that I have to find its meaning...
    But I like that game~^^*
    If I have more questions while reading her novel, may I ask you again?
    Good~ Thank you for your acceptance^^

< Previous | Next >