she is giving birth to a baby now

ridgemao

Chinese - Mandarin
Hello:

During the process that a woman is producing a baby, can I say the woman is giving birth to a baby. I am not sure whether I can use the present continuous tense. Just like in this context:

Where is Marry?
She is in the delivery room, she is giving birth to a baby now.

Thank.

• ridgemao

Chinese - Mandarin
    How about this context:

The mommy cow was producing a baby cow at that moment, I said to my 3 years old daughter: "Look, a tiny head is coming out of the mommy cow's body, do you know that tiny animal? The mommy cow is giving birth to a baby cow now. "
    Can I say the above bold phrase?

Thank you again.

sdgraham

USA English
    Talking to a child is not like talking to a mature, educated human.

You can say just about anything that the child will understand. :)

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I agree with SDGraham, except that if the cow happens to be giving birth to a male, it's a baby bull, not a baby cow. And you might want to teach the child the name for that baby, of either sex: calf.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I agree with Parla in all respects. If only the head has emerged, you can not possibly tell whether the calf is male or female.

london calling

UK English
    It sounds fine to me to say she is giving birth. I don't think you need add 'to a baby', as it will be obvious. ;)
    I agree. If we specify that she's giving birth to a baby I may well think that the person speaking was expecting her to give birth to something else!:D It would, however, work perfectly well in a given context, for example a science fiction film/TV series/novel, in reference to a woman who has had sex with an alien (or something like that...;)).

< Previous | Next >