French
Hello,

I wonder whether this sentence

She made me welcome

could be passivized.

I was made welcome by her.

sounds a bit awkward, doesn't it ?

And I wonder why.

Any idea or suggestion would be welcome.;)

Thanks in advance for your answers.

• reganse

English – U.S.
    She welcomed me - this would be the active voice.
    She made me feel welcome – to me, this sounds like the passive voice. I don't know??
    I was made to feel welcome in her house or by her. – I guess this is how you could say it in the passive voice.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Yes, it can be passivized, and 'I was made welcome by her' is correct. And yes, it sounds awkward, but I think that's because we don't usually put personal pronouns in the 'by'-phrase. It sounds better with a longer noun phrase: I was made welcome by the mistress of the house.

Loob

English UK
    I was made welcome by her.

sounds a bit awkward, doesn't it ?
    That is - precisely - the passive equivalent of she made me welcome:thumbsup:

If it sounds awkward, that's because the passive can often sound awkward if there's no particular stylistic reason for choosing it. Compare I was made welcome by Queen Charlotte of Ruritania, the ruling Empress - where the passive would probably sound a lot better than the active.

EDIT: I hadn't seen etb's answer when writing this - but I think we agree:)

simera

French
    Yes, it can be passivized, and 'I was made welcome by her' is correct. And yes, it sounds awkward, but I think that's because we don't usually put personal pronouns in the 'by'-phrase. It sounds better with a longer noun phrase: I was made welcome by the mistress of the house.
    So you mean that with a long noun phrase that doesn't sound awkward ?

So I have a second question about

She made him sad sometimes.

Could this sentence be passivized with a longer noun phrase ?

He was sometimes made sad by his new girlfriend.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Yes, that's correct too. With 'sad' it's an ordinary construction 'make' + object + adjective. With 'welcome' it's a particle verb; though this doesn't make any difference to passivization:

She made her guests welcome. = She made welcome her guests.

There's another (old-fashioned, formal) construction of the same meaning, 'bid <someone> welcome', and this can't be passivized (well I can't); I don't know why:

The mistress of the house bade the visitors welcome.
    :cross:The visitors were bidden welcome by the mistress of the house.

< Previous | Next >