she <pushed a bit of> forget-me-not in the dark hair of his breast

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 334, the last paragraph, chapter 15) by Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background: Mellors put thread some flowers in Connie's maidenhair. Connie suddenly said Mellors was “Knight of the Burning Pestle”, and that she herself was Lady Mortar. Then Connie said: "I’m my-lady-maiden-hair, and you must have flowers too." Then, she threaded two pink campions in the bush of red-gold hair above his penis.)

‘Charming! Charming! Sir John!’ (by Connie)
And she pushed a bit of forget-me-not in the dark hair of his breast.
‘And you won’t forget me there, will you?’ She kissed him on the breast, and made two bits of forget-me-not lodge one over each nipple, kissing him again.

The blue sentence is a little strange for me. Does pushed mean put, and bit means a single petal of a flower?
I reword it as: she put(=pushed) a petal(=bit) of forget-me-not in the black(=dark) hair of his breast.
Thank you in advance

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Forget-me-not has tiny flowers growing on a low bush. Normally you would pick a sprig or spray of several leaves and flowers, which Lawrence calls a bit. I suppose Mellors has a very hairy chest, so the flower goes deep into the hairs.

< Previous | Next >