she pushed to take off

raffavita

italian
Hi everybody,
I'm trying to translate this sentence, but I have difficulty in understanding it.
She's a pilot.
On a plane, I suppose, the throttle is not on the ground as in a car.
Before she had "rammed the throttle forward" which I had translated "Spinse in avanti la leva di accelerazione."
But now "she pushed to take off" seems a bit contradictory because it sounds like she were using her feet to accelerate.
Am I wrong?
Thank you in advance.
Raffa

• babyjewel

Italy, Italian
    Could it be 'spinse (la leva di accelerazione) per decollare'?
    I'm not very familiar on how to drive a plane though :)

k_georgiadis

English (AE)
    The throttle is definitely on the console between the pilot and co-pilot (or passenger seat). There other levers and pedals, such as the brake which is usually on the floor. She may have just pushed the foot brake to release it so that the plane can start taxiing for take-off. On the other hand, "she pushed" may simply mean that she wanted to push ahead, i.e. get on with, the take-off procedure. Is there any indication that she is communicating with the tower and that she is anxious to take off?

babyjewel

Italy, Italian
    Does push imply that she did it with her foot?? Can't you push something with your hand too? I'm perplexed..

raffavita

italian
    The throttle is definitely on the console between the pilot and co-pilot (or passenger seat). There other levers and pedals, such as the brake which is usually on the floor. She may have just pushed the foot brake to release it so that the plane can start taxiing for take-off. On the other hand, "she pushed" may simply mean that she wanted to push ahead, i.e. get on with, the take-off procedure. Is there any indication that she is communicating with the tower and that she is anxious to take off?
    Hi everybody,
    thanks so much for your help.
    Yes, Georgiadis, here is the sentence which follows:
    "Using the hand mike, she contacted the control in Talkeetna and gave them her data."
    What does this imply?
    Thank you again.
    Raffa

k_georgiadis

English (AE)
    First, as BabyJewel pointed out, you do not use your feet exclusively to push something, you can push something with your hands too. Since she already "rammed the throttle forward," I interpret it to mean that the throttle has been pushed as far it will go and that the engine is revving at maximum rpm. So, without the benefit of knowing her frame of mind and what she is trying to do, I am guessing (and it is only a guess!) that the "push" refers to her urging the control tower to give her permission to go.

raffavita

italian
    First, as BabyJewel pointed out, you do not use your feet exclusively to push something, you can push something with your hands too. Since she already "rammed the throttle forward," I interpret it to mean that the throttle has been pushed as far it will go and that the engine is revving at maximum rpm. So, without the benefit of knowing her frame of mind and what she is trying to do, I am guessing (and it is only a guess!) that the "push" refers to her urging the control tower to give her permission to go.
    Okay.
    So it can be both "spinse per decollare" and "si preparò al decollo even if she simoly calls the control to give them her data.
    So I'm not sure whether to translate it "diede il gas per partire" or "si preparò a partire."
    Thank you very much.

Raffa:)

< Previous | Next >