She snaps a selfie and uses his finger to script a caption.

< Previous | Next >

Kacy.H

Chinese
In a podcast, I heard the host say: ....opens up a new app (Snapchat) she just downloaded. She snaps a selfie and uses her finger to script a caption. (Maybe this isn't what the host is saying. My listening skill isn't perfect!)

'Snap a selfie' instead of 'take a selfie' is used because the host is talking about snapchat? 'Snap' is a new word which Snapchat created?

And, why 'script a caption'? I had only heard people say add a caption.

Many many thanks

• Chez

English English
    No, 'snap' or 'snapshot' has been around for decades as an informal word for 'photograph' – it is the reason Snapchat is called Snapchat, not the other way around.

Here, script means 'write'. You would normally expect 'script' to be handwriting, so I don't know if it's possible to literally write with your finger on screen (it is in some apps); or whether the writer is just using this to mean write/type a caption. (We often say 'write' even when we're talking about using a keyboard.)

lingobingo

English - England
    Just to add that the word snap is both an old noun for a quick photo and a verb meaning to take a quick photo/snapshot.

And I agree that script is probably only being used as a verb because writing with your finger can hardly be called typing.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I tried that link, but 20:55 was an advertisement for a bank.

It doesn't matter. The word was probably "script".

New phrases are often created for new things, such as writing on a touch-sensitive medium with your finger, while an app records the motion and converts it into a picture. "Scribe" doesn't mean that any more than "script" does.

Kacy.H

Chinese
    Thanks, everyone.

I'd expect "to scribe". "To script" means to write a script, such as for a movie.
    scribe and script have very different vowels. I think my listening skill is not that bad. :)

, such as writing on a touch-sensitive medium with your finger, while an app records the motion and converts it into a picture.
    Your explanation makes a lot of sense, since Snapchat does have this type of feature, which is different from typing a caption.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >