She sometimes makes dumplings <for his lunch> and other times soup and rice.

< Previous | Next >

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
Hello teachers,
I wrote both paragraphs. I find #1 too wordy because "his lunch" is used twice.
My question:
In paragraph 2, is it understood that the "dumplings and soup and rice" are cooked for his lunch?

1. At seven Tao’s wife prepares dinner for them and their daughter and around 8:30 p.m. she prepares his lunch for the next day. She sometimes makes dumplings for his lunch and other times soup and rice.

2. At seven Tao’s wife prepares dinner for them and their daughter and around 8:30 p.m. she prepares his lunch for the next day. She sometimes makes dumplings and other times soup and rice.

Thanks in advance.

• owlman5

English-US
    You don't need to repeat "his lunch" if you don't want to. The repetition doesn't bother me at all. If it bothers you, the second version looks clear. Because you mentioned "lunch" in the first sentence, I assume that the dumplings and the soup are things she prepares for his lunch.

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    You don't need to repeat "his lunch" if you don't want to. The repetition doesn't bother me at all. If it bothers you, the second version looks clear. Because you mentioned "lunch" in the first sentence, I assume that the dumplings and the soup are things she prepares for his lunch.
    Hey owlman5,
    Thank you for your help. That's exactly what I wanted to know, if it could be assume that the dumplings and the soup are things she prepares for his lunch.

TL

< Previous | Next >