she was a little bit rock and roll

chopin7

Albanian
Hello

It's a documentary about some crime in America.
Seems that a wife has poisoned her husband.
The district attorney describe the couple,

"They really did not have that much in common. He was sort of a little bit country, she was a little bit
rock and roll. They were both very head strong people, they both very much wanted to have their own way."

I am having trouble to interpret this, "country and rock and roll".
Does the attorney mean that he was a quieter type and she was somewhat dynamic?

Thank you

• henrylee100

Russian
    I think what the attorney means is that he was into country music while she was more into rock and roll music, in other words, this means that they were very different people, with very different tastes and very different ideas about what they wanted in life

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The district attorney is contrasting their characters:

He was sort of a little bit country, = he was a person who might like country music
    She was a little bit rock and roll. = she was a person who might like rock and roll.

This is probably metaphorical and really means:
    he was a person who was slower, gentle and contemplative (in the way that country music embodies these attributes)
    she was a person who wished excitement, movement, might-life, parties, etc.
    (in the way that rock and roll embodies these attributes)

and, to answer your next question,
    "No, it is not a particularly common metaphor; it is just one way of expressing an idea with reference to popular culture."

chopin7

Albanian
    Thank you very much, Henrylee and PaulQ.
    So, my interpretation can go in this case?
    Quiet - Dynamic

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Does the attorney mean that he was a quieter type and she was somewhat dynamic? :tick:

pwmeek

English - American
    The DA probably is contrasting their characters, but I suspect we may be trying to read too much into this. I think the DA merely means they have different and incompatible natures, and is using different tastes in music as an example.

Much like "he's a dog-person; she's a cat-person" without actually meaning that either one likes any pet better than another.

Note that there exists a country music song with the line: "I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock and roll" meaning that I like country music and the rural life, while also liking rock and roll and a more sophisticated environment - I am happy with my inconsistency. The point being that the singer recognizes that most people would recognize these as mutually exclusive.

< Previous | Next >