She was being pushed round on the chess-board again

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 314, chapter 15) by Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background: Connie's sister Hilder told Connie that their father was going to London, and she would pick Connie up. And she asked Connie to be ready for it ……)
‘……I shall probably stay the night at Retford with the Colemans, so I should be with you for lunch, Thursday. Then we could start at teatime, and sleep perhaps in Grantham. It is no use our spending an evening with Clifford. If he hates your going, it would be no pleasure to him.’

So! She was being pushed round on the chess-board again.

I guess Clifford was the first person who arranged Connie's life(=pushed round on the chess board) by telling Connie to have a baby with another man, and now her sister Hilda is the second one who is arranging her life. But it's very normal for a sister to sometimes arrange another sister's life.
So what's the profound meaning behind the words please? Is Lawrence suggestting we should arrange our own life?
Thank you in advance

• joanvillafane

U.S. English
    Most people I know do not think it's normal for a sister to arrange her sister's life. In this case, I interpret it as meaning that her sister is moving Connie just as you would move a chesspiece. The word "push" has a negative connotation, meaning that Connie does not like feeling manipulated.

< Previous | Next >