She was incredulous/suspicious/doubtful

< Previous | Next >

jesusguime

Banned
Chinese
She was incredulous when her husband told her he wanted a divorce.

Hi,
Does "incredulous" in the above amount to "suspicious" or "doubtful?" Thanks.

• Trisia

Romanian
    Hi, :)

I'd love it if you told us what exactly do you think this sentence means. What do you think the sentence says she thought/felt when he told her that.

jesusguime

Banned
    Chinese
    Thanks, Trisia.
    I think all of the three words in quesion are really close in meaning, but to the best of my memory, there seem to be subtle nuances between suspicious and doubtful. So, I'd like to make sure if they are the same to you or not.

Trisia

Romanian
    Hi again.

I meant this: what exactly does the sentence mean?

She was incredulous when her husband told her he wanted a divorce
    = He told her he wanted a divorce, and she didn't really believe that. She didn't suspect him of anything. "Doubtful" might work but it's a stretch.

Now I would only use suspicious or doubtful if you had something like "He told her he had been out with the boys but the was still suspicious/she doubted that."

EDIT: I see Loob's got some older threads. Nice! :)

jesusguime

Banned
    Chinese
    Thanks, Loob.
    I have consulted the dictionary for the three words but they are really close that I still couldn't tell them apart. Could you tell me the basic differences among them in a few words. Thank you in advance.

jesusguime

Banned
    Chinese
    Hi again.

I meant this: what exactly does the sentence mean?

She was incredulous when her husband told her he wanted a divorce = He told her he wanted a divorce, and she didn't really believe that. She didn't suspect him of anything. "Doubtful" might work but it's a stretch.

Now I would only use suspicious or doubtful if you had something like "He told her he had been out with the boys but the was still suspicious/she doubted that."

EDIT: I see Loob's got some older threads. Nice! :)
    Thanks, Trisia, for the clear explanation.
    Now I get it!
    By the way, do you mean "she was still suspicious" in your post?

< Previous | Next >