She was roused, and did—no miracle—but her best

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre (Chap. 35) | Genius

Quotation: The wind sighed low in the firs: all was moorland loneliness and midnight hush.

“Down superstition!” I commented, as that spectre rose up black by the black yew at the gate. “This is not thy deception, nor thy witchcraft: it is the work of nature. She was roused, and did—no miracle—but her best.”

Context: Jane had heard a mysterious voice crying out her name, 'Jane! Jane! Jane!'
===
Hi everyone! I don't quite understand the bold part. How to make it clear? My guess it as below.

The essential meaning => the voice was not any supernatural miracle but the work of nature.

The thread may be relevant: the spectre by the black yew

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Yes. After puzzling for a long time who 'she' was, I realized it was nature. Nature was roused and did something: it was not a miracle. I think 'but her best' might mean "her best attempt at making it seem like a miracle", but I won't swear to this.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    I'm not sure I understand it either, but I think I agree with Entitledbank. Nature was "roused" - it was windy? And it was not a miracle that the voice was carried a longer than usual distance on the wind?

Maybe.

< Previous | Next >