she was the sister of his deceased wife—a thin, soft-speaking, kindly woman of forty-five

< Previous | Next >

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
Hello everyone. I would like to ask about "she was the sister of his deceased wife—a thin, soft-speaking, kindly woman of forty-five" in the following sentences:

This lady acted as housekeeper to Mr John Yule, a wealthy resident in this neighbourhood; she was the sister of his deceased wife—a thin, soft-speaking, kindly woman of forty-five. The greater part of her life she had spent as a governess; her position now was more agreeable, and the removal of her anxiety about the future had developed qualities of cheerfulness which formerly no one would have suspected her to possess. The acquaintance between Mrs Milvain and her was only of twelve months’ standing; prior to that, Mr Yule had inhabited a house at the end of Wattleborough remote from Finden.

- George Gissing, New Grub Street, Chapter 2

In this novel, which was published in 1891 in the United Kingdom, Miss Harrow, who was the sister of Mr. John Yule's deceased wife and currently acted as housekeeper to him, is being described.

In this part, I would like to know who the emdash part describes.
Is the thin, soft-speaking, kindly woman of forty-five Miss Harrow? Or Mr. John Yule's deceased wife?

I would very much appreciate your help. :)

• < Previous | Next >