sheep-years

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Are cloned animals born old? - BBC News

Quotation: But Daisy is not just any sheep. She's a clone. One of a flock of 13 cloned sheep currently living out their lives on a farm owned by the University of Nottingham, and one of only four (the others are Debbie, Denise and Diane) cloned from the same adult ewe as Dolly the sheep - the first cloned mammal born in 1996.

This, despite the passage of a couple of generations in sheep-years, says Kevin Sinclair, professor of developmental biology at Nottingham and lead author on the study, makes them Dolly's - and that original ewe's - identical twin sisters.
===
Hi everyone! What is "sheep-years"?

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    He means that the passage of twenty years (since 1996) is equal to a couple of generations for sheep. For a human it would be less than one generation, because it normally takes longer than that from the time of a human's birth before he reproduces. Sheep have a shorter lifespan and the gap between birth and reproductive maturity is also much less.

Edit: A sheep-year is the period of time that would have the same proportion to a sheep's lifespan as a year to a human life. Since sheep have a shorter lifespan, a "sheep-year" is less than a regular year.

Last edited:

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    It's commonly (I don't know how accurately) said that a year for a dog is like seven years for a human. "My dog is eight years old. That's 56 in dog years."

Egmont

English - U.S.
    It's commonly (I don't know how accurately) said that a year for a dog is like seven years for a human. "My dog is eight years old. That's 56 in dog years."
    The problem with accuracy is that the progress of a dog through its life cycle cannot be related to that of a human by a single multiplier. On the one hand, most dog breeds (very large dogs are the exception) are sexually mature by one year of age, suggesting a multiplier of at least 12. On the other hand, many dog breeds typically live to about 15 years, suggesting a multiplier of about 5 or 6. Other measures suggest different multipliers. The difference is especially acute with smaller breeds, which often mature earlier and live longer. Using 7 is something of a compromise.

Most ewe lambs have reached puberty by the time they are a year old also, but their reproductive time is longer, as a fraction of their life span, than that of human women.

What Prof. Sinclair is trying to say is that, even though the clones were born so far apart in time that, for humans, it's like being born 40-50 years apart, they are still identical.

< Previous | Next >