Shelling peas

Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
When you remove the pods from fresh peas, you are said to be 'shelling' them in English. In Cymraeg/Welsh, you 'deor' the peas. That is, you 'hatch' them.

Equivalents in other languages (with appropriate translations into English), welcome!

• Pea in Greek is «αρακάς» [aɾaˈkas̠] (masc.) < Classical masc. noun «ἄρακος» ắrăkŏs (nom. sing.), «ἄρακοι» ắrăkoi (nom. pl.) --> pea(s), a kind of pulse, also the seed of the plant lathyrus («λάθυρον» lắtʰŭrŏn (neut.) which gives the MoGr dialectal name of the legume, «λαθούρι» [laˈθuɾi] (neut.)) possibly an eastern Mediterranean Wanderwort (per Beekes the alternative forms «ἄρακος/ἀράχιδνᾱ» ắrăkŏs/ărắkʰĭdnā and the interchange k/kʰ prove substrate origin).
    The seed-pod is called:
    -«Λοβός» [lo̞ˈvo̞s̠] (masc.) < Classical masc. noun «λοβός» lŏbós --> lobe, lap, slip (of unknown etymology) οr
    -«Χέδρoπας» [ˈçe̞ðro̞pas̠] (masc.) < Classical 3rd declension masc. noun «χέδροψ» kʰédrŏps (nom. sing.), «χέδροπος» kʰédrŏpŏs (gen. sing.) --> any leguminous fruit (of unknown etymology, possibly Pre-Greek).
    «Λοβός» is what we use in everyday language. «Χέδρoπας» is formal/scientific language.
    The verb used when we remove the pods is «αποφλοιώνω» [apo̞fliˈo̞no̞] --> lit. to decorticate, generally to strip off < Classical v. «ἀποφλοιόω/ἀποφλοιῶ» ăpŏpʰloióō (uncontracted)/ăpŏpʰloiô (contracted) --> to peel, strip off, a compound: Classical preposition & prefix «ἀπό» ăpó + Classical deverbative masc. noun «φλοιός» pʰloiós < Classical v. «φλέω» pʰléō.
    Colloquially the usage of «καθαρίζω» [kaθaˈɾiz̠o̞] --> to clean < Classical v. «καθαρίζω» kătʰărízō & «καθερίζω» kătʰĕrízō, prevails by far.

Last edited:

Penyafort

Catalan (Catalonia), Spanish (Spain)
    Catalan:

The pod of peas and pulses in general is called either tavella (from Latin tabella 'small board') or bajoca (suffix -oc on bajà, from Latin baianus '(broad bean) from the town of Baiae').

So the verbs for shelling these pods are simply derived from that:

estavellar [əstəβə'ʎa](< es- + tavella + -ar)
    esbajocar [əzbəʒu'ka] (< es- + bajoca + -ar)

es- is a prefix indicating opposite actions to the root (Latin EX-)
    -ar is a suffix for infinitives (Latin -ARE)

Awwal12

Russian
    Russian лущить (~luschít') is just a basic verb for manually removing peas, seeds and the like from their pods/shells/whatever.

On the etymological level it seems to be "husking".

Şafak

Russian лущить (~luschít') is just a basic verb for manually removing peas, seeds and the like from their pods/shells/whatever.

On the etymological level it seems to be "husking".
    Do you really use it though? I heard it a lot in Ukraine but in Russia everyone says "чистить".

Last edited:

Linnets

In Italian:
    • sgusciare [zɡuʃˈʃaːre] 'removing peas or other seeds from the shell or pod'
    • guscio [ˈɡuʃʃo], baccello [batˈtʃɛllo], legume [leˈɡuːme] 'pod'
    • pisello [piˈzɛllo] 'pea'.
    Latin baianus '(broad bean) from the town of Baiae').
    Cfr. Sicilian vaiana 'pod' from a crossing between Baiāna and vagīnella 'sheath' (Battisti & Alessio).

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
    Dutch: boontjes [little beans] doppen... A dop is like a lid, a cover; so you uncover, but we do not use the un/ont- here, which I find strange. If you are told to je eigen boontjes doppen, then you are told to make sure you survive on your own (eigen = own)...
    In my dialect it would be ploossen. It took me a while to find out that is simply the French éplucher, which - I know - is the word for peeling potatoes, whereas @ain'ttranslationfun? refers to écosser, which will be more suitable here...

@Welsh_Sion: do you a common sense [metaphor] in all those terms? I suddenly thought there are two foci here:
    - you take away the cover (uncover the beans)
    - you take out the beans

Husk is an interesting word as it refers to a a dried hull or something if I am not mistaken (and etymologically a little house). But is shell a real synonym???

Last edited:

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
    1. (a). v.t. (fruit Etc): plicio, pilio, tynnu croen (= to pull the skin of), digroeni (= to unskin)
    (a stick Etc): pilio, rhisglo (= to husk), dirisglo (= to dehusk), rhasglio
    (carrots, potatoes): crafu (= to scratch), plicio,
    South West Wales: plisgo, crafu, noblo,
    South East Wales: sgardo

Source: Geiriadur yr Academi | The Welsh Academy English-Welsh Dictionary Online
    I'd really feel like creating a thread based on that survey: all kinds of ... (containers??? Hulls? ...?). Or are you going to, Welsh_Sion?

Linnets

We have borrowed that from you as «μπιζέλι» [biˈz̠e̞li] (neut.), but we use it to describe a different plant, Pisum sativum var. saccharatum, else «γλυκομπίζελο» [ɣliko̞ˈɱbiz̠e̞lo̞] (neut.) --> sweet-pea.
    I thought that μπ- [b-] was due to Venetian bisi [ˈbiːzi] 'peas' but my Modern Greek-Italian reference book by Kolonia & Peri explains it comes directly from Italian, then from (Vulgar) Latin pisellum, diminutive of Classical pisum, from Ancient Greek πίσος, with no Venetian influence. Who knows?

Polish

łuskać [verb] = obierać , wydobywać z łuski. (peel , extract from husk)
    obłupywać = shell
    wy + łuszczyć = husk

łuszczyć from Proto -Slavic ? , psłow. *luščiti ‘usuwać zewnętrzną warstwę’ (remove the outer layer)

łuskać
    rzeczownik odczasownikowy od psłow. *luskati; pierwotnie ‘czynność oddzielania, odrywania, usuwania zewnętrznej osłony
    from Proto-Slavic luskati : originally 'separation, detachment, removing the outer cover , husk .

synonyms;

wyłuskiwać = enucleate
    dekortykacja = dehulling ?