She's a G

subtitler

Finland
Hi y'all!

In a British reality show a young black man talks about a young woman who's sent him a gift. He says, "She's a G". The man seems very happy and pleased about the gift.
There also appears to be a rap song called "She's a G" on YouTube.
What does the expression mean exactly and what's the origin of it? Does it mean that "she's grand" or that "she's great" or something?
Thanks again!

Subtitler

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Urban dictionary, particularly at entry #5, suggests:
    A "G" doesn't necessarily refer to a gangster. In Queens, among the individuals I'm acquainted with, a "G" is basically a person who has their "shit together"....or someone who is good at life, all around. An individual who is good looking, in good shape, is intelligent, has money, is good with people, is with hot women, is well dressed etc. is a "G."
    I find this definition credible given the context.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I think it is short for 'gangsta', which I take to be a term of approval in certain circles. ;)

Copperknickers

Scotland - Scots and English
    Paul Q has it exactly right. It really means 'gangsta' but it has taken on the general meaning of a person worthy of admiration, i.e. with all the characteristics of a 'gangster' in the communities where such slang originated. It is particularly restricted to black american and British urban culture, a more native slang word meaning the same would be 'lad' or 'babe'.