She's beautiful - Nicole Kidman beautiful

< Previous | Next >

stanzavuota

Italy, Italian
Hello!
I'd need some help to get this sentence in the right way. I've found it in a short story (American English).

Juliet is tall and slim and beautiful – Nicole Kidman beautiful, with her long, glossy hair, fine-drawn features and intense deep eyes.

I'm not sure about the meaning of the second "beautiful".
My hypothesis:
Juliet is like a beautiful Nicole Kidman. But, in this case, I guess it would be written: Juliet is tall and slim and beautiful – a beautiful Nicole Kidman, with her long, glossy hair, fine-drawn features and intense deep eyes.
Or:
Juliet has the same beauty of Nicole Kidman. But, in this case, I guess it would be written: Juliet is tall and slim and beautiful – Nicole Kidman's beauty, with her long, glossy hair, fine-drawn features and intense deep eyes.
So, I fear I did't get the meaning of the sentence. Could you help me?Sv

• boozer

Bulgarian
    Juliet is as beautiful as NK - they are mentioning the name of Nicole to give us an idea of how beautiful Juliet is. I this case Nicole is seen as a standard of beauty, the way I see it.

stanzavuota

Italy, Italian
    Thank you for your answers. But, it's not yet fully clear to me. According to you, what's the "function" of beautiful in the original sentence? Is it possible to re-write the sentence in other words?

Copyright

American English
    Is it possible to re-write the sentence in other words?
    Juliet is tall and slim and beautiful – on the same level of beauty as Nicole Kidman.

This is a subjective evaluation by the speaker/writer, of course, and there will be other levels of beautiful: Sophia Loren, Halle Berry, Christy Turlington, and on and on.

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    As well as saying that Juliet is as beautiful as Nicole Kidman, I believe the writer (can we have the author's name and the title of the story, by the way?) is saying that she has a type of beauty similar to that of Nicole Kidman. Juliet has long, glossy hair, as does Nicole Kidman. Juliet has fine(ly)-drawn features, as does Nicole Kidman. Juliet has intense, deep eyes, as does Nicole Kidman.

My rewriting of the sentence would be: "Juliet is beautiful, in the way that Nicole Kidman is beautiful."

I hope that makes sense!

< Previous | Next >