She's [leaning, hanging] out the window.

aleaf

Japanese
Check it out! She's [hanging, leaning] out the window.

I made it up. Do you see any differences in "hanging out the window" and "leaning out the window"?

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Leaning out of the window, she's in danger of falling. Hanging out of the window? She leaned too far, fell, and managed to catch the windowsill, so she's now outside, hanging by one hand and shouting for help. :)

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Informally, "No" - more accurately, "Yes."

Informally: "Stop hanging/leaning out of the window and close it - it is very cold in here!"

More accurately, hanging would mean that the person were on the outside of the window with (i) his fingers holding on to the windowsill. (ii) otherwise suspended from the bottom of the window.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    And note that both the BE speakers above said "leaning/hanging out of the window". I think omitting that of is incorrect in BE, but I think it's fine (preferable?) in AE.
    Please do correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Last edited:

se16teddy

English - England
    It is common to omit of in hanging/leaning out the window in Britain. It may be informal but I wouldn't call it "incorrect".

Come to think of it, hanging out (of) the window is a bit of an odd thing to say - it might suggest that the upper part of someone's body is hanging limply outside the window, with the lower half inside the building.

se16teddy

English - England
    Yes, I suppose "hanging" does not necessarily imply limpness. We speak of a bird "hanging" in the air. "Stonehenge" apparently (OED) means "hanging things, made of stone", referring to the horizontals.

< Previous | Next >