She's rock hard

• Oleg68

Russian
    First I was thinking there is the play with the word "hard rock".
    Is it difficult to say for sure?
    OK. Thank you very much, Sparky Malarky!

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    That is another interpretation!

Song lyrics, like poetry, are usually written so as to be open to interpretation by the listener/reader. It means what you want it to mean, in a way. All the the possible meanings are valid, and it could, in fact, mean all of them at once.

If you really want to know you will have to ask the writer.

Oleg68

Russian
    I know it. That's why it's difficult to translate a song in another language.
    The people want to understand the sense of the song.

Oleg68

Russian
    You know, often I can't understand the matter is in interpretation or I just don't know English very well :)
    And then I ask a question in this forum.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    I wouldn't say that what is implied is a "hard heart." There may not be a necessarily literal meaning to a "rock hard" love, but your idea of a connection to rock music is certainly likely. Her affection/relationship isn't traditional as she doesn't care about regular romantic activities; instead, she prefers something direct. She has a "rock & roll" love life.

Oleg68

Russian
    But "rock hard" and "hard rock" has different meanings. I don't know.
    I was thinking about "hard love", too

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    English has what we call "poetic license". Poets and songwriters are not obliged to follow any of the rules of grammar, usage, or even meaning. They use words, often in unusual ways, to suit the rhyme, rhythm, or emotional content (as seen by the writer) of their creations. Sometimes, as Sparky suggests, words are deliberately used in such a way as to be open to more than one interpretation.

Oleg68

Russian
    Parla, you told me it all before some years ago :)
    I got. Thank you all for the help!

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >