shield-like

< Previous | Next >

NickJunior

Khmer
Hello Forum,

Does it make sense to say, A turtle shell is shield-like? Or should it be said, A turtle shell is like a shield? I appreciate your help in advance.

• NickJunior

Khmer
    It makes sense -- you can understand it -- but it is awkward and not what we would normally say.
    Thank you, Glen. My brain keeps remembering this word "childlike" and that was why I asked. Also I am looking for some adjectives to describe a turtle shell. Since people don't normally use it, I will not use it either.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    You could always use a $10 word and make your readers run to a dictionary: "A turtle shell is scutellate." :D

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    In your original sentence it's better to say that the shell is like a shield, but you could use shield-like as an adjective if you wanted so say something else about the shell, for example:
    The turtle's shield-like shell is strong enough that you can stand on it without danger of squashing the turtle. -- This is a hypothetical example, don't say this to anyone and then blame me if it goes horribly wrong!

NickJunior

Khmer
    In your original sentence it's better to say that the shell is like a shield, but you could use shield-like as an adjective if you wanted so say something else about the shell, for example:
    The turtle's shield-like shell is strong enough that you can stand on it without danger of squashing the turtle. -- This is a hypothetical example, don't say this to anyone and then blame me if it goes horribly wrong!
    Thank you, Ed. Glen in post #2 said that it is not common that people use the word "shield-like". So I don't think I will use that word. However, I really like your reassurance that I can use it.

< Previous | Next >