Shifting a lot more concrete than before

< Previous | Next >

Starless74

Italiano
Hello,
translating an article from 1975 by singer Peter Gabriel about leaving the band Genesis, I came across the following passage:

«The vehicle we had built as a co-op to serve our songwriting became our master and had cooped us up inside the success we had wanted. It affected the attitudes and the spirit of the whole band. The music had not dried up and I still respect the other musicians, but our roles had set in hard. To get an idea through “Genesis the Big” meant shifting a lot more concrete than before. For any band, transferring the heart from idealistic enthusiasm to professionalism is a difficult operation.»
Should I interpret concrete as a noun, i.e. a metaphor for 'encountering a lot more resistance' (from the other members of the band, when presenting an idea)?
Or is shifting more concrete a common way of saying 'becoming more concrete' (adjective), which also seems to relate to the sentence that follows, about the price that comes with turning professional?
I wouldn't be surprised if Gabriel meant both things at the same time, anyway. :D

Looking forward to reading your opinions. :)

• Chez

English English
    Your first interpretation is the correct one, I'd say, as he's using a metaphor of being 'set in concrete'.

< Previous | Next >