shoe

< Previous | Next >

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
But remember that the contact could have happened via Arabic, Spectre... Turkish --> Arabic --> Spanish, Portuguese, Catalan --> Italian, Indonesian (?)

• Spectre scolaire

Maltese and Russian
    What I am implying now is that perhaps there is a Turkish word zabata which is dialectal - and rather uncommon, at that! - and which was indeed a loanword from Spanish (or Catalan).

I pretty much exclude the possibility that zabata could be a word of Turkish origin. It simply doesn’t look like a Turkish word! There are subtle details en jeu here: f.ex. zabıta is a Turkish word of Arabic origin (which has nothing to do with our word) whereas zabata doesn’t exhibit – as far as my judgement goes - any Turkish linguistic caracteristics.

I wouldn't feel comfortable in elaborating on an Arabic strand in this case. I thought most words of Arabic origin in Spanish had conserved the Arabic definite article. In case of exceptions, I'd like to see what kind of words we would be dealing with.
    :) :)

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    List of exceptions here (see the ones that don't start with the letter 'a', to begin with). Anyway, perhaps we should leave this discussion for another occasion, or else open a new thread about the etymology of the Spanish/Portuguese/Catalan words specifically, and free this one for other languages. ;)

Hakro

Finnish - Finland
    In Swedish there is also känga.

And we borrowed it in Finnish: kenkä.

We have also the general word "footwear": jalkine

And of course we have dozens of names for different types of footwear.

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
    This is "not uninteresting" but it would be more interesting if we learnt a little about the background.

Shoe/ schoen could be traced back to covering (IE *(s)keu).
    Chaussure might refer to calx, calcis, heel/ talon, so I gather.
    Boot, botte, sabot: not clear...

But for example Slavic /podkova/: any root in it? And others?

Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    So if PIE is *(s)keu, that would account for Cymraeg/Welsh esgid (plur. esgidiau, often pronounced as 'sgidia/sgidie') and Cornish eskit, eskys. (No etymology found in GPC.)

Incidentally, the idiom, 'Mae'r esgid (fach) yn gwasgu' (Lit., 'The (little) shoe is squeezing') means that, 'Things are a bit tight (!) financially at the moment'.

Is it a compound? If so please tell me the meaning of the components. It reminds me of Persian pâpush which was once used as a word for "shoe" especially kind of shoe that women wore in the home. means foot and push is present root of pushidan (to wear).
    No it's not a compound, it's the word for shoe borrowed by the Byzantines from Persian via Turkish. In MoGr «παπούτσι» [paˈpu.ʦ͡i] (neut. nom. sing.), «παπούτσια» [paˈpu.ʦ͡ça] (neut. nom. pl.) is the generic word for shoe. The inherited Greek word for it is «υπόδημα» [iˈpɔ.ði.ma] (neut. nom. sing.), «υποδήματα» [i.pɔˈði.ma.ta] (neut. nom. pl.) < Classical deverbative neut. noun «ὑπόδημα» hŭpódēmă --> shoe, sandal, lit. that which is bound underneath < Classical v. «ὑποδέω» hŭpŏdéō --> to bind underneath < Classical prefix & preposition «ὑπό» hŭpó + v. «δέω» déō --> to bind, fasten (PIE *deh₁- to bind cf Hit. tiya, Skt. द्यति (dyáti), to bind).
    Note that in Greek exist many collateral words; one is inherited from the ancient language (or revived under Katharevousa) and exists parallel to either a loanword, or a Demotic (=colloquial vernacular) one which occured naturally in the Mediaeval period (and often is the preferable one).

< Previous | Next >