shoop devil sway

< Previous | Next >

gatix

italiana
Hi!
From the song of scissor sisters:

"You think that I could muster up a little soft, shoop devil sway"

What does that mean? That he should soften his movements
while is dancing. And in particular: what is shoop?

Many thanks
titti

• Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Could your "soft, shoop" possibly be "soft shoe", which is a dance form, similar to tap (but without "taps" on one's shoes)?

gatix

italiana
    Could your "soft, shoop" possibly be "soft shoe", which is a dance form, similar to tap (but without "taps" on one's shoes)?
    Thanks for your tip...might be, but then what has got to do with
    "devil sway". May be some movement very similar to some sensual
    dance?
    May be too much sensual, and as you know when it's too much
    is never nice, is it?

Could "shoop" be an otomatopoeic sound, like whem you move with a whooshing sound with your feet on the floor?

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    A little quick googling shows only this particular song's lyrics for this series of words, and it gives as some sort of category the term "distortion disco". I am the last person to claim any kind of expertise here, but now I wonder if "soft, shoop devil sway" isn't some kind of idiosyncratic expression of the songwriter. At any rate, I know when I'm out of my depth. I give up.
    :)

gatix

italiana
    Thank you anyway.

As you know song writers always allow themselves to "licenza poetica"
    (Freedom to deviate deliberately from normally applicable rules or practices (especially in behavior or speech).

That is why songs are open to free interpretation...
    thanks
    Titti

Ibi

Italian, Italy
    Hello everyone, I found this thread since I was looking for a definition of "shoop", too, after listening to the Scissor sisters song...I agree it could be a so soft movement and sound to result diabolic...but still it's not completely clear...

Is it maybe a sort of slang with its own meaning for the whole phrase?

Ibi

Italian, Italy
    I just bought the cd. The lyrics book inside says "gentle", not "devil". If you carefully listen to the song, it is a bit confused but I guess it could be gentle, that makes definitely more sense...

Eugin

Argentina (Spanish)
    I just bought the cd. The lyrics book inside says "gentle", not "devil". If you carefully listen to the song, it is a bit confused but I guess it could be gentle, that makes definitely more sense...
    I think you are mistaking the words.

In this page it does say "gentle", but instead it says "sway" for "devil"...

So, "sway" here would be like a synonym for "swing", maybe? :confused:

(I love this song, by the way!! :p )

Cheers and thank you

< Previous | Next >