shop

Discussion in 'Dictionary Additions' started by JamesM, Mar 29, 2011.

1. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod (English Only)

Term: shop

Your definition or explanation: noun, used as a shorthand term for a visit to a shop or "shopping visit".

Example: Please complete our survey within 5 days of this shop.

One or more places you have seen the term: My most recent Smart and Final receipt.

Have you looked for this term or meaning in dictionaries, and not found it? Yes _X_ No ___

This jumped out at me when I looked at my receipt. Has anyone else seen "shop" used in this way?

2. ewie

ewie Senior Member

Not exactly, MrM. We do use shop to mean 'shopping trip':
    What are you doing tomorrow?
    I'm going for an all-day shop in Manchester.

3. JamesM

I don't have a problem with it as a verb. It's this particular use of it as a noun that's odd to me.

Ewie, would you say something like "I found a lot of great bargains on my last shop in Manchester"?

4. Welshie

Welshie Senior Member

France
    England, English
    Hmm not sure about that sentence. But "I went for a shop" doesn't shock me at all. But the example "Please complete our survey within 5 days of this shop" doesn't sound right to me. It just makes me think of a shop as in the building..

5. ewie

ewie Senior Member

No, I don't think I would, for some mysterious reason. I can only (at the moment) imagine myself using it together with the verb go:
    I'm going for a good shop when I get there
    As soon as we got there we went for a shop

(P.S. I forgot to say that, as for Welshie, the way it's used in your example sounds really weird to me.)

6. panjandrum

panjandrum Quondam Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    shop (noun) = shopping trip?

In contexts such as "the weekly shop" this is familiar. It has many examples in Google and in Google News.

I like <small local shop> for convenience, but I go to <name of the supermarket I like> for a big shop.

7. JamesM

Thanks for the feedback. Would you say "my last big shop at <name of the supermarket> was about a month ago"?

I'm just trying to pin down this combination of "last shop", which strikes me as very odd. I would understand "for a big shop", although I can't say I've ever heard anyone here say it, but "last shop" sounds like a physical location to me rather than an event.

8. panjandrum

panjandrum Quondam Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I did my last big shop at <name of supermarket>.

I did my last shop at <>. :cross:
    Using "last shop", alone, sounds odd to me. It's hard to comment because this is very routine conversation that I wouldn't really notice, and wouldn't be writing down.

9. Fabulist Banned

Annandale, Virginia, USA
    American English
    Everyone who seems to find the noun "shop" familiar, or something they use, for a "shopping trip" or "visit to a store," instead of for the store itself, seems to be British, although Mr. M's receipt is presumably American. I've never encountered this either. I'm not an enthusiastic shopper, although I do buy groceries once a week; perhaps it is used among Americans who enjoy this activity. But I can't say that I've ever noticed it in speech or print, and it is so grating that I think I would have—it's like a "handful of empty" or a "new kind of clean."