shopping, cooked, and did gardening together, <which> were

< Previous | Next >

sophiasophie

Chinese
Hi,
I am not sure whether "which" is correctly used here:

We went shopping, cooked and did gardening together, which were our happiest moments.

The sentence sounds right to me, but it seems that it is not clear which thing "which" refers to.

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    "Which were our happiest moments" refers to the moments you spent doing the things in your list: shopping, cooking, and gardening.

Your use of "which" seems reasonably clear to me.

Last edited:

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    I think you don't need the comma after "cooked", Sophia. Deleting that comma would improve the sentence and remove the ambiguity, if there's any, by relating "together" to all the three activities more closely, I feel.

sophiasophie

Chinese
    "Which were our happiest moments" refers to the moments you spent doing the things in your list: shopping, cooking, and gardening.

Your use of "which" seems reasonably clear to me.
    Hi, Thank you for your reply. I feel confused because:

To my understanding, in a non-restrictive attributive clause, "which" either refers to a word or phrase that has appeared earlier (e.g.: I like apple, which is very delicious) or the whole preceding sentence (e.g. I did not do homework yesterday, which made my father angry).

But my sentence above does not fall into either of the two categories. I mean, I cannot find a way to put the antecedent in the attributive clause like "apple is very delicious" or "the fact that I did not do homework yesterday made my father angry".

owlman5

English-US
    Hi. You're welcome.

You did not use "moment" in the first clause. Nonetheless, those events can be viewed as "moments". Apparently, you viewed them as moments because you told us that those activities were your "happiest moments." That seems reasonable to me.

sophiasophie

Chinese
    Hi. You're welcome.

You did not use "moment" in the first clause. Nonetheless, those events can be viewed as "moments". Apparently, you viewed them as moments because you told us that those activities were your "happiest moments." That seems reasonable to me.
    Thanks. I understand it now.

< Previous | Next >