short course

< Previous | Next >

halmom

korean
Does ' short course' have the same meaning as ' intensive course', which means learning something in a short period of time? Then, which one do you thnk is more common or natural?

I plan to do a short course on barista. or
I plan to take a short barista course or
I plan to take an intensive barista course.

I plan to do a short course on French for beginners. or
I plan to take a short French for beginners course or
I plan to take an intensive French for beginners course.

• Packard

USA, English
    I would say it is just equal to "concise course". It hits the main points concisely and skips over the peripheral points.

Dad: I am giving you a short course on etiquette for the wedding. No farting. Don't scratch your balls. Don't grab any girls asses and use a knife and fork for dinner. Don't eat with your fingers. You do all that, and you should be fine.

Son: Can I call the groom an "asshole"?

Dad: Maybe I should give you the full course on etiquette.

suzi br

English / England
    Short is not synonymous with intensive in this context. You can have a short course in all sorts of things with no hint of intensive study.

It is impossible to say which of your options is "more natural" since they are probably all possible. To me, intensive course suggests one with more contact time than average for the type of course. You can call a French course a "short" course if it lasts a few weeks, with only an hour or two a week. An intensive French course would suggest much more contact time but says nothing about how long it runs for.

I have no idea what is involved in learning to make coffee. Do people need more than a day or two to learn that?

Last edited:

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    I would say it is just equal to "concise course". It hits the main points concisely and skips over the peripheral points.

Dad: I am giving you a short course on etiquette for the wedding. No farting. Don't scratch your balls. Don't grab any girls asses and use a knife and fork for dinner. Don't eat with your fingers. You do all that, and you should be fine.

Son: Can I call the groom an "asshole"?

Dad: Maybe I should give you the full course on etiquette.
    !!!!!

Colleges sometimes offer an intensive course on Latin which lasts the entire summer. For example. And as suzi suggests, it is full time, high contact.

< Previous | Next >