Short forms of past passive participles

clapec

Italian
Привет всем :) ,

I have a big doubt concerning the short forms of Russian past passive participles: would it be possible to leave был / была out in the following sentences?

1. Я читаю роман, написанный одним французским писателем. Роман был написан в 1955 году. Несколько лет назад он был переведён на итальянский язык.

2. Вчера на уроке физики нам был показан опыт.

3. Речь была прочитана оратором.

According to my book, it is possible to do without была in sentence 3; but could we dispense with it in the other two cases, too? And, if not, why? Maybe, был has to be used only if the time when the action takes place is mentioned?

:confused:

Thank you very much for your help!

• melon collie

Russian - Russia
    Hi, clapec!

1. Я читаю роман, написанный одним французским писателем. Роман (you can leave it out here) написан в 1955 году. Несколько лет назад он (you can leave it out here but with it the sentence sounds more natural)переведён на итальянский язык.

2. Вчера на уроке физики нам был показан опыт. (you can not not leave it out here)

3. Речь прочитана оратором. (your book is right - feel free to leave it out here:) )

I've been trying my best to make up a rule but I can't:eek: - sorry. I just can tell you what's natural & what's not. If I find a book of Russian for foreigners with such rule I'll let you know.

Inara

clapec said:
    Привет всем :) ,

1. Я читаю роман, написанный одним французским писателем. Роман был написан в 1955 году. Несколько лет назад он был переведён на итальянский язык.

2. Вчера на уроке физики нам был показан опыт.

3. Речь была прочитана оратором.

According to my book, it is possible to do without была in sentence 3; but could we dispense with it in the other two cases, too? And, if not, why? Maybe, был has to be used only if the time when the action takes place is mentioned?

:confused:

Thank you very much for your help!
    Hi Clapec!

If you keep "был/была" in all three sentances, they sound better. If you say: "Речь прочитана оратором" I feel that the sentance is not finished and that you want to say in continuation something like: "но он не очень то старался". There is a sort of enfasis heard in the last word "оратор" if you omit "была".

The same happens with "Роман был написан в 1955 году". If you leave "был" out: "Роман написан в 1955 году" I feel suspense, I need something more, like: "Роман написан в 1955 году, но был запрещён и увидел свет только в 1993"

I would strongly recommend to use "был/была" in all these cases.

Best wishes