short messages in instant messaging

Jean-Michel Carrère

French from France
Would somebody be kind enough to tell me what the short messages that appear below your name in instant messaging and that you can change ad lib are called in English ?

Thanks !

• Isotta

English, Hodgepodge
    What do you mean? In MSN? Which messaging service?

Perhaps screenname? Away message? I'm not sure based on your description--could you perhaps add a little more?

Z.

Jean-Michel Carrère

French from France
    On MSN, just below your name or assumed name, there is a box where you can type a short message that you can change as often as you like. How would you call that if you had to tell a friend you were chatting with : "Oh, I see you have changed your ... ?"

Isotta

English, Hodgepodge
    "Signature message" is good, or "personal message,"--maybe even "temporary mantra" if you're feeling punchy.

I don't know--I only have French msn.

Z.

nycphotography

American English
    On AOL, its the "away message"
    On yahoo, its the "status message" (which is far more descriptive)

It could be: sig line, tag line, status line, or even just sig or stat for short.

Any of those would do (yet still fail to inform as to what Microsoft would prefer you to call it on their trademarked, brand labelled, commerically promoted service).

Isotta

English, Hodgepodge
    MSN also has an away message in addition to the message in question; this is just a little phrase below the screenname, sort of like a subtitle. For example, my friend's says "Caligula would have blushed" under the likewise mutable screenname, and tomorrow it could say, "ooh la, don peringyown."

To "sig," "tag," and especially "stat," I would probably respond, "What?"

I think "signature" or "signature message" is the best bet.

Z.

< Previous | Next >