Shortened/abbreviated form for British East India Company

< Previous | Next >

prr

English--USA
I am writing a short article on the British East India Company for some students to read, and am wondering what kind of abbreviation or short form I can use. Has EIC been common? "the Company"? To distinguish it from counterparts in other countries, I type in BEIC in my own notes, but I don't want to give them an abbreviation if its not commonly in use--and I've never seen BEIC anywhere except on my own laptop.... One site I looked at gave both EIC and HEIC, but I'd rather trust the judgment of the literati here.

• MichaelW

English (British)
    "The Company" is familiar to me but not the abbreviations. The abbreviation would also change over time, maybe EIC would be best.

Lis48

English - British
    The H in HEIC stands for Honorable which was later added to the EIC´s name.
    I´ve never seen BEIC, but have often seen EIC and HEIC, depending on the date.
    It was known informally as the Honorable Company or the John Company ( that nickname came from John Bull being a symbol of England).

prr

English--USA
    I like the idea of just using EIC, telling them they might sometimes see HEIC as well. Those three letters would always be there.

Thanks.

< Previous | Next >