Shorting opportunities

< Previous | Next >

Jin akashini

vietnamese
Hi every one,

I would like to ask you the meaning of the phrase "shorting opportunities ", below is the context:

"The Celsius Network is my own project and it will serve both lenders and borrowers. It will allow lenders to leverage their crypto coins to earn interest or to secure cash loans. On the other hand, Celsius will also serve borrowers who are exclusively looking for shorting opportunities in the crypto market".

The sentence above is from an article on the techcruch, here is the link:
7 Ways to Bank Using Cryptocurrencies – Hacker Noon

Thanks and regards,

P/S: I also guess "shorting opporunity" is an economic jargon, but I haven't found it. I think it might be "selling opportunites" because I find in Forex that "long" means "buying" and "short" means "selling".

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    To short means to make a financial gain based on the value of something falling. In this context it means to sell a currency at a price A and to buy it back at price B where B is less than A. In this case the trader borrows the currency which he then sells, in the hope of being able to buy the same amount of currency later at a lower price to enable him to repay his loan (and the interest) and still make a profit overall.

Jin akashini

vietnamese
    n this case the trader borrows
    To short means to make a financial gain based on the value of something falling. In this context it means to sell a currency at a price A and to buy it back at price B where B is less than A. In this case the trader borrows the currency which he then sells, in the hope of being able to buy the same amount of currency later at a lower price to enable him to repay his loan (and the interest) and still make a profit overall.
    Thanks Glasguensis, I got it.

< Previous | Next >