Should or would: which shows more likelihood?

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    (1) He should win the race.​

(2) He would win the race.​
    Which sentence expresses more likelihood of his winning the race?

This is a difficult question because "he would win the race" doesn't really work unless it is qualified ie. "he would win the race if he loosened up beforehand" or "he would win the race if Joe Blow wasn't in it". "Would" is more like a possibility, depending on circumstances. "He should win the race" is a defnite statement.

cheshire

Japanese
    Thanks again, Dimcl:) Those two words are not on the same horizon.
    When one says "he should win the race" how sure is the speaker of his winning the race? Can it be replaced by "maybe"?

Joe Blow...*embarrased*

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Thanks again, Dimcl:) Those two words are not on the same horizon.
    When one says "he should win the race" how sure is the speaker of his winning the race? Can it be replaced by "maybe"?

Joe Blow...*embarrased*

If I were to say "Cheshire should win the race", I am voicing my opinion which is probably based on my measured judgement of your chances. It's a stronger statement than if I say "Cheshire may win the race" because any one of the competitors "may" win.

Hockey13

AmEnglish/German
    If I were to say "Cheshire should win the race", I am voicing my opinion which is probably based on my measured judgement of your chances. It's a stronger statement than if I say "Cheshire may win the race" because any one of the competitors "may" win.

Or if you're watching an underdog in the process of pulling off an upset:

"He may just win this race!"

What is even more emphatic than "Chesire should win this race" is "Cheshire will win this race." That comes with pressure for Cheshire, of course. :)

cheshire

Japanese
    What is even more emphatic than "Chesire should win this race" is "Cheshire will win this race." That comes with pressure for Cheshire, of course. :)
    Don't put me on a hot tin roof, Hockey:eek:
    Say "Joe Blow" ten times fast. :D Thank you!