should or would?

< Previous | Next >

Mr Bones

España - Español
Hello, friends. I know that there've been many threads about would-should, but, although I read a lot of them, I still have a dout. The case (an actual dialogue) is the following:

I friend of mine invite me to have dinner to his place and I ask him:

What would you like me to bring?

And his answer is:

Wine should be perfect.

Is this correct? Shouldn't he use would instead of should?

Thanks a lot. Bones.

• Aupick

UK, English
    An interesting question, Mr Bones. Both are possible here, although each has a different nuance.

Wine would be perfect: your friend knows exactly what is needed for the dinner, knows that one more bottle would be useful, more useful than anything else.

Wine should be perfect: your friend is making an educated guess as to what will be needed. He thinks wine is the best thing, but he doesn't know how many other people are bringing wine and how much wine people will drink.

Should indicates a supposition, a guess. Would is more certain.

JamesM

sholud / would
    should is used when we are talking about duty or obligation
    would is used for imagination,like wish
    Please note Aupick's comment, too, though. "Should" can be a supposition, an assumption or a guess.

"If you install this anti-virus software you should be protected from most threats." This doesn't mean that you are obligated to be protected or that you must be protected. It means that under normal circumstances it's reasonable to assume that you will be protected, but it's not guaranteed that you are.

natatasa

Serbian
    Please note Aupick's comment, too, though. "Should" can be a supposition, an assumption or a guess.

"If you install this anti-virus software you should be protected from most threats." This doesn't mean that you are obligated to be protected or that you must be protected. It means that under normal circumstances it's reasonable to assume that you will be protected, but it's not guaranteed that you are.
    Hey that is new for me. I tought that could is for supposition, like 50 % possibility to be or not ...I think that proper word in your contex is could. But it is just my opinion.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hey that is new for me. I tought that could is for supposition, like 50 % possibility to be or not ...I think that proper word in your contex is could. But it is just my opinion.
    Could means, as you say, something like a 50% possibility.

Should means that according to everything the speaker knows, the wine will be perfect, but he is allowing for the fact that because of something he doesn't know it might not be. He's pretty sure, but he isn't promising.

natatasa

Serbian
    Could means, as you say, something like a 50% possibility.

Should means that according to everything the speaker knows, the wine will be perfect, but he is allowing for the fact that because of something he doesn't know it might not be. He's pretty sure, but he isn't promising.
    tnx:)

< Previous | Next >