Should use enable rather using enabling !!

HappyTidings

Urdu
Hi All,

The following paragraph is the excerpt of one of my emails about which I got comments that it is full of mistakes. I thoroughly studied the paragraph time and again and finally realized that perhaps my mistake lies in underlined sentences. I should not write like this " and enabling us to propose a best possible solution in the same" because in the beginning I used "could" therefore, I should use "enable" rather using "enabling". << Second question has own thread.>>

Reference to your correspondence with Mr. Norman regarding providing a solution of Roadside Emergency Phones to BRA. We studied the bidding documents provided by you and learned that the proposed solution must integrate with existing BRA’s command & Control Center set up. Therefore, you are requested to provide us the details which could help us to understand the existing network of BRA and enabling us to propose a best possible solution in the same. The sooner we get the information the earlier we can start working on it.

Thanking you in anticipation

Regards,

Happy Tidings

<< Please discuss sentence in question in this thread. Other sentence is discussed in this thread: "must integrate" changed to "must be integrated". >>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Copyright

American English
    I don't think it is "full of mistakes," so I wouldn't worry too much. The two suggestions you made are good... and correct. But I want to reassure you that most native English speakers would understand what you meant.

...enable us to propose the best possible solution.

JamesM

(The first sentence is not a complete sentence.)

"Enable" makes much more sense to me than "enabling." Although both are understandable, "enable" looks more polished since it is consistent with the rest of the sentence. As copyright's edited version shows, "in the same" is redundant (and not quite right as well). I would drop it.

The reason "enable" works better than "enabling" is that the "and" is almost like a marker of bullet points in the sentence:

....which could:

o-- help us to understand the existing network of BRA
    (and)
    o-- enable us to propose the best possible solution.

< Previous | Next >