Shoulder, shoe size

< Previous | Next >

Revans

Latvia, Latvian
Hello!
Why would someone say "Shoulder, size 11" when asking for boots at the shop?

Why shoulder? What relation is there between shoulder and shoe size?

Thanks in advance!

• Revans

Latvia, Latvian
    Ok, I googled, I know how they look like. But why are they called "shoulder". Does it mean natural leather boots?
    Thanks!

Sorry for the double post, but I guess my question is quite specific and no one has certain enough about this. I've been searching on this past couple hours and think it might be top-boots and the shoulder may be the part of the boots from the ankle to knee. (or it still means natural leather).
    Please, any thoughts from native English speakers? Even tinier one...
    I will really appreciate if someone helps to sort out this thing :).

Last edited by a moderator:

Copyright

American English
    Hello!
    Why would someone say "Shoulder, size 11" when asking for boots at the shop?
    Why shoulder? What relation is there between shoulder and shoe size?
    Thanks in advance!
    My grandfather was a cobbler for fifty years and never once mentioned shoulder to me, so I did some Googling and found shoulder mentioned fairly often. The way it is often used in boot descriptions, however, makes it difficult to tell whether it's a component of the boot -- heel, upper, shaft, etc. -- or a description of the leather.

I was getting the feeling it was the part of the animal that the leather is taken from, and more research gave me this on Boot Leathers:

Bullhide:
    Also known as shoulder leather, this boot is made from the prime leather of the cow... [and] will have a twisted sort of grain allowing flex in all directions. Bullhide is a bit thicker than dress leathers and exotics. This allows working in brush without thorns cutting through the boot easily.

The prime leather of the cow is in the shoulder area. So, my best guess is that Shoulder, size 11 means the customer wants a boot made of shoulder leather (bullhide) in size 11.

As for the construction of the phrase, think Steak, Medium Rare. :)

In both cases, the shoulder and steak commandments are just the beginning. After you say shoulder, you will be choosing from the styles they stock in that leather. After you say steak, you'll be choosing from the beef they have: filet, strip, porterhouse, etc.

So saying shoulder just sets the initial standard for the boot leather you want and says nothing about style, height, use or much of anything else.

As I said... a guess.

Last edited:

Revans

Latvia, Latvian
    Ok, I googled, I know how they look like. But why are they called "shoulder". Does it mean natural leather boots?
    Yup, that's why I said at first about natural leather, 'coz really my idea was that the leather for making boots might be taken from whatever animal's shoulder (back) area. Since English is not my native language I wasn't sure about it... just a logical thinking. Thought that native speakers should know anything about it.
    I guess I should explain my idea, but anyway - Copyright - as always excellent, complete and informative answer. Thank You for searching information. Really - thought it's not that complicated.
    Take care!

< Previous | Next >